Monday, July 12, 2010

People-Pleasing

I've always known that I have a problem with being unhappy when the people around me are unhappy. It is true that I spend far too much time doing whatever I can to make other people happy or comfortable even if it means I'm miserable. Somedays I really prefer to be a people-pleaser but every now and then I meet a person whom I really care about and want to make happy all the time. That person just happens to be IMPOSSIBLE to please. This of course makes me feel terrible about our relationship and about my efforts at making the person happy.

I'm not really sure how to make our relationship work. Either I have to learn not to be a people-pleaser or this person has to get happy. Both of those necessities seem pretty unlikely to occur. What does that mean for the two of us? I'm not exactly sure. I just hope we find a way to accommodate each other in the meantime.

No comments: